English | 2019 | ISBN: 1789349028 | 224 pages | EPUB | 2.7 MB
Embrace the Protocol-Oriented Programming paradigm, for better code maintainability and increased performance, with Swift programming.
- Leverage the power of Protocol-Oriented Programming in your applications
- Leverage generics to create very flexible frameworks
- Learn how to implement common design patterns in a protocol-oriented way
Protocol-oriented programming is an incredibly powerful concept at the heart of Swift’s design. Swift’s standard library was developed using POP techniques, generics, and first-class value semantics; therefore, it is important for every Swift developer to understand these core concepts and take advantage of them. The fourth edition of this book is improved and updated to the latest version of the Swift programming language.
This book will help you understand what protocol-oriented programming is all about and how it is different from other programming paradigms such as object-oriented programming. This book covers topics such as generics, Copy-On-Write, extensions, and of course protocols. It also demonstrates how to use protocol-oriented programming techniques via real-world use cases.
By the end of this book, you will know how to use protocol-oriented programming techniques to build powerful and practical applications.
What you will learn
- Learn the differences between object-oriented programming and protocol-oriented programming
- Understand why value types should be prioritized over reference types
- Delve into protocols, protocol inheritance, protocol composition, and protocol extensions
- Learn how to implement COW (Copy-On-Write) within your custom value types
- Understand how memory management works in Swift and how to avoid common pitfalls
- Design applications by starting with the protocol rather than the implementation
Who this book is for
This book is intended for Swift developers who have, at minimum an introductory knowledge of the Swift programming language and would like to understand how they can use Protocol-Oriented Programming techniques in their applications.
Table of Contents
- Starting with the Protocol
- Our Type Choices
- Memory Management
- Object-Oriented Programming
- Protocol-Oriented Programming
- Adopting Design Patterns in Swift
- Case Studies